Ever wonder where we acquire our knowledge? Well, we`ll share some with you! It`s certainly not a secret. We want everyone to know what we know. We want everyone to be empowered with knowledge to help your pets be as healthy as possible and to live long, happy lives!
So here ya` go. Visit these sites for INFORMATION:
- AHVMA – American Holistic Veterinary Medical Association
- VIIM – Veterinary Institute of Integrative Medicine
- Animal Protection Institute – Link directly to the very important article “What`s Really in Pet Food”. If you are still feeding a commercial grade (grocery store, or large-chain purchased) pet food, you need to read this article. Your pet deserves better. Then browse their site. Excellent what The Institute does for animals.
- Planet Paws – Rodney Habib – Pet Advocate
- The Movie Pet Fooled – Very educational movie on the pet food industry. It’s a “must see” for every pet owner.
- Dysbiosis/Leaky Gut in Dog and Cats – You all hear us talk about it all the time so here are some websites to research a bit. Dogs and cats do not produce the enzyme to break down any carbohydrate. So if you are feeding a dry diet, you really should be supplementing with a lactose-free digestive enzyme and probiotic. If you choose to feed a dry diet, choose a high quality, meat-based diet (like we stock at Wags to Whiskers), add a digestive enzyme and probiotic (a lactose-free choice like we carry), and many problems will get better for your pet!
- For Fleas and other parasites. We stock a variety of holistic and natural products for preventing and/or killing fleas/ticks and other parasites. Sprays, topical products, internal products that are all chemical free. Even Diatomaceous Earth. Think about using this light and very inexpensive powdered product vs. deworming your pet or using a topical flea and tick preventative again. Read about it below.
- Info on Diatomaceous Earth from Wolf Creek Ranch – This link is directly to benefits for pets but browse their whole site – read the minor warnings, etc. But the benefits of DE are excellent! Wags to Whiskers carries a food-grade DE in two different sizes and can special order larger sizes if needed.
Dr. Jean Dodd`s Vaccine Protocol – Over-vaccination is a serious health problem. Dr. Jean Dodd`s is a very well-known veterinarian and educated in vaccine protocol.
Consider donating to the Rabies Challenge Fund which she is one of the people heading up and that is going on RIGHT NOW. They are working to extend the vaccine law for Rabies vaccination from once every 3 years (yes, you only have to vaccinate your pet once every 3 years for rabies and this is the ONLY vaccination required by law) to 5 to 7 years! In many counties, there are no requirements for vaccinating your cat – check your local laws and make your own decisions!
- Remember that your dog is only required to have rabies vaccination once every 3 years. This is the ONLY vaccination required by law. And we suggest Titers for Parvo and Distemper. Also the 3 years rabies vaccination is the same dosage of vaccination as the 1 year vaccination – it is not a stronger vaccination. The 1 year is certified for 1 year, the 3 year is certified for 3 years – and is the exact same vaccination. Some vets charge more for the 3 year – look around and find one who doesn’t charge more and get the 3 year vaccination – this is your right as a pet owner!
Other Great Sources/and Information
- Pet Finder – Don`t buy your next pet from a mill-driven pet store! If you are interested in finding a reputable breeder for any breed, please feel free to contact us and we can help you find the right dog. Take your time! A puppy is for life. Find a good breeder! Thank you!
- Puppy Mill Project – That cute little puppy in the window comes from a PUPPY MILL no matter what they (the owners and staff of that store) try to tell no. No respected breeder will give up their puppies to a pet store to sell to strangers! Do not support stores by purchasing products OR puppies from stores that sell puppies for profit. When you purchase a puppy or product from that store you are supporting a life of misery for that puppies` parents. No joke.
- Best Friends Animal Sanctuary – Don`t you wish you could do this?! Awesome organization.
- Are you looking for a purebred dog from a reputable breeder? Call us at the store for assistance finding a breeder! 815-436-5957
How to Deskunk your dog – First, don`t let the dog in the house!
1/4 cup baking soda
1 standard-size bottle of hydrogen peroxide
1 teaspoon of liquid dish soap (Dawn brand is best)
- Mix it all together in a bucket with warm water – wash and scrub over your dog using caution around eyes and mouth.
- Even though this is the best solution around to help your pet, your dog can smell like a skunk every time it gets wet for up to a year.
- If your dog was sprayed at close range in the face/eyes and is foaming at the mouth, seek vet care immediately.